Team Valherus
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Main Forums » Maps, Textures & some downloads » *Official /V/ subway mapping thread (Post your ideas here)
*Official /V/ subway mapping thread
rashdawgDate: Sunday, 2009-02-01, 3:24 PM | Message # 1
The Map Maker
Group: Blocked
This thread is to be used for everyone to post their ideas on what you would like to see in the map I am making. I will also be using it for posting updates of map progress so I will be reserving the first 3 posts for this purpose. Feel free to post any and all ideas you may have. I would really like this to be a group effort. I dont play OA as much as I used to so I dont really know what everyone likes/dislikes in a map. There will be plenty of alpha and beta testing to ensure the map plays as intended and the items/weapons are placed in such a way that players will travel around the map and side rooms/hallways have a purpose for being there. I plan to send an image of what I have made so far. It took 15 min to make, and I am not opposed to scrapping the idea entirely. At the end of this I want a map people will actually play, not something that everyone vetoes.

EDIT: Nevermind about reserving posts. I cant have 3 separate posts on one thread on this forums.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I plan on putting out an alpha map based on the V shaped subway theme sometime this week or next. i have made the two tunnels intersect, but I will have to do lots of testing to get the scale that I want. Things I am thinking about adding to the layout.
* Flags are off the main tunnels at two subway depots
* Side Tunnels that are 1/4 to 1/2 the size of the subway tunnel that have +5 healths and +5 armors
* Maintenance rooms with +25 healths, yellow armors and/or power weapons such as the rail/LG
* Plasmas and Shotguns near player spawns with RL being a little bit farther away from spawns
* A Mega Armor or Mega Health at the intersection of the two tunnels that players must Rocket Jump up to get

Discuss

Message edited by rashdawg - Sunday, 2009-02-01, 8:22 PM

HITMANDate: Sunday, 2009-02-01, 7:00 PM | Message # 2
Co-Admin
Group: Administrators
Sounds Good Rash...I'll let ya know what things I had in mind. biggrin

rashdawgDate: Sunday, 2009-02-01, 8:08 PM | Message # 3
The Map Maker
Ok thats good Hitman. I will use this second post of mine to put map updates if the first thread hits its maximum size.

Click picture to see at full size. The left is the Radiant 3D view mainly used for texturing, the right is the Top view.

Message edited by rashdawg - Tuesday, 2009-02-03, 5:25 PM

vikeDate: Monday, 2009-02-02, 8:44 PM | Message # 4
Scouter
Group: Checked
i dont know about others but i used to love one of the rail maps from vile's server. it was the city one with a wall all around and the tall satellite tower, elevator, subway carts, etc... alot of neat stuff in the map but it wasnt very symetrical.

i guess what i would like to see is a wall right in the middle of the map that you would have to rocket jump over (easily)...it would be a great practice map bc you would have to have team work should you die on the rocket jump. this would be in place of the ever so common body of water with a bridge.

does any of this sound interesting? wink

if not, how about a graveyeard? names on the tombstone will be old V members and so forth biggrin

/V/ike!

rashdawgDate: Tuesday, 2009-02-03, 0:56 AM | Message # 5
The Map Maker
It would be nice to get very detailed, but it would be time consuming. I could do the func_train type stuff with moving platforms, but incorporating them into the gameplay would be difficult. IMO that map you refer to did not play very well as it was not symmetrical at all.

A wall to RJ over would be interesting, but I think it would be a very difficult map to get a flag capture in. Would have to test it, but there would obviously have to be lots of health and armor to make a capture possible. While it could work, I am not that sure about it as it would not be playable by players that are new to OA.

A graveyard sounds intersting. It could be possible for me to make a graveyard for another map. Right now I am going off of Hitmans idea of two subway tunnels that make a V, but if I ever get this one done I could go on to do others.

Here is a Screen shot of what I have so far I am kind of waiting on Hitmans suggestions before I do anything else. At this point it only took 15-30 min so I can just scrap it if major changes are wanted in the design.

Message edited by rashdawg - Wednesday, 2009-02-04, 0:39 AM

vikeDate: Tuesday, 2009-02-03, 10:13 PM | Message # 6
Scouter
sounds like we agree on the asymmetrical aspect of that map.

i still think a small wall would be cool and the issue about noobs and health is the point. but yes...thats a project for another day.

i would like to see hidden spots too like the invisiblity inside a secret wall (like that other old map). i would love to see a screen shot when you get a chance!

/V/ike!

HITMANDate: Wednesday, 2009-02-04, 6:17 PM | Message # 7
Co-Admin
WOW rash..that's hot...well done! Here is the outline I had in mind

My drawing isn't the best..I might clean it up using photoshop :-/

Attachments: 1455671.jpg (101.5 Kb)

rashdawgDate: Wednesday, 2009-02-04, 9:54 PM | Message # 8
The Map Maker
I dont know Hitman. I feel that the teleporters would promote camping. It would effectively be a map where you would not need to control the map only the teleporters. No matter how big I would make that design it would always feel cramped because of it. Sure the idea of adding teles may seem cool, but I think I will have two versions to test. One with teles and one without. I expect the one without to play better. Oh and seriously if you want actual tracks it will be a pain in the ass. About the only way I would do it is if I had a track texture.

HITMANDate: Wednesday, 2009-02-04, 10:53 PM | Message # 9
Co-Admin
I understand your point. The teleport is actually to provide a second way out, since it will be difficult to bring the flag across. There will always be camping; its part of the game..but i will show ya how it will from another POV. The idea is to RJ to the portal and exit from opposite end...the tracks was make the map look more subway-ish...i'll see if i can doodle another during from streetlevel pov....apparently the textures will be the most challenging..just let me know what can or cannot be done. biggrin

rashdawgDate: Thursday, 2009-02-05, 0:11 AM | Message # 10
The Map Maker
Woah I just noticed I got promoted to Map Maker. LOL. You should change it to The Map Making Noob, or at least capitalize The. :P

Anyway I cant do textures, so the only way to do the tracks would be to manually do them. I would say "F*#k that." Unless anyone has experience with making textures...
Oh and the textures on the screen shot are probably going to be replaced sometime. I just randomly textured it to at least see the geometry of what I have so far.

Aite back on topic to the portals. I would probably screw them up. When I was trying to make a remake of a Halo 1 map for a TDM style map I had the most frustrating experince with function_teleport. I found them to be a pain in the ass, but I will have to look up some tutorials to do them as I dont even remeber anything about teleports now.

Message edited by rashdawg - Thursday, 2009-02-05, 0:14 AM

vikeDate: Thursday, 2009-02-05, 3:39 PM | Message # 11
Scouter
looks awesome...is there going to be a starting room to enter the subway? this well cut down on guns and ammo avail, which in turn well cut down in camping....idk, just a suggstion bye

/V/ike!

rashdawgDate: Sunday, 2009-02-22, 1:35 AM | Message # 12
The Map Maker
I hate to run out of ammo :P Surplus of ammo > too little ammo. Expecially when trying to support big team battles like those in Nemesis.

P.S. the map is still the same as the last screen shot. :P Didnt have any time to work on it. Kind of been practicing H3 in all my spare time to get ready for a local tourney.

May try to get some done to get out an alpha of the map to play next month. The alpha will be like a pre beta state. Will be pretty plain and wont be complete, but will be useful for testing weapon placement and if there are any bugs to fix.

Message edited by rashdawg - Sunday, 2009-02-22, 1:40 AM

HITMANDate: Saturday, 2009-02-28, 8:48 PM | Message # 13
Co-Admin
That's cool man...take your time..there is no deadline. If you need any more ideas, let us know! biggrin

rashdawgDate: Tuesday, 2009-06-23, 0:42 AM | Message # 14
The Map Maker
Any and all ideas are welcome, and if Sns comes in here with his secret tunnel idea I will tell him no. smile I really dont like things to be secretive as it benefits a select few until others figure it out. I may do an underwater tunnel that connects the V ends together. (If I ever do anything to the map that is) I would like the tunnel to be long enough to where a good strafe jumper could run the flag faster running down the tunnel, but if you cant strafe then the tunnel would be faster. It would need to be tested quite a bit, but I think it could make it so no area of the map is neglected. That is a goal of mine. I dont want any dead spaces that no one ever goes to. Every side tunnel will have a purpose. P.S. I will not have any proxy mines, chain guns, or nail guns. IMO they are more powerful versions of existing weapons. Nailgun= mega shotty, chaingun= mega machinegun, and proxymines= sticky grenades that slow gameplay by blocking hallways...

Added (2009-06-23, 0:42 Am)
---------------------------------------------
A moment of silence weep for another fallen map idea. I dont even know where this map when on my hard drive. :P

valherusDate: Tuesday, 2009-06-23, 7:37 AM | Message # 15
Master, Admin & Owner LOL!
hahahahha

NOOOO

Lol man, u better find it... that map looks great and I can imagine it as a good map so far... Keep the good job. hands

Forum » Main Forums » Maps, Textures & some downloads » *Official /V/ subway mapping thread (Post your ideas here)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024Make a free website with uCoz